National Twins Day is a day to celebrate America's twins and the special bonds they share. Hingham certainly has our fair share of twins. In fact, there were EIGHT sets of twins in East Elemetary's graduating fifth grade last year. Eight!
Here are some fun facts about twins to help you celebrate National Twins Day (according to Google):
- One in 30 babies born in the U.S. is now a twin.
- Moms who are breastfeeding when they get pregnant are 9 times more likely to conceive twins
- Identical twins do not have identical fingerprints.
- Massachusetts has the most twin births of any state in America (4.5 for every 100 live births)
- Twins have been shown to begin interacting in the womb as early as 14 weeks
- Mirror image identical twins have reverse asymmetric features. About 25 percent of identical twins develop directly facing each other, meaning they become exact reflections of one another.
- Twins have a higher rate of left-handedness
- Tall women are more likely to have twins.
- Women who eat a lot of dairy are more prone to conceiving twins.
- Twins interact with each other in the womb.
- Some conjoined twins can feel and taste what the other one does.
We asked some of Hingham's twins to share their favorite part of being a twin and their answers are shared with Anchor fans today!
Ella and Olivia Paterniti
The best part about being a twin is that I always have someone to hang out with.
The best part about being a twin is having someone to share all of my stuff with.
Laura Herrald and Erica Riley
My favorite part about being a twin is that we share the same memories. We’ve spent so much of our lives together that we remember the same stories and will giggle without saying a word. A simple eye glance and we know we are on the same page.
My favorite part of being a twin is having a built-in best friend. We are each other’s support systems.
Jack and Riley LaFratta
I like protecting (her) from the bad guys.
I like having someone to tell what to do.
Wendy Driscoll and Bonnie Bate
My favorite part of being a twin is having a built in best friend to share life and many memories with. Someone who loves, understands, and supports you no matter what! Twins have a special relationship and very lucky to have someone by their side every day!
Best part of being a twin is growing up together, living life together, raising kids around each other, and enjoying life as a family together!
Grace and Gavin Vogel
You get to play with your twin and your twin will always help you!
You get someone to play with who is the same age and has the same interests and you always have a buddy to play with.
Emilia and Luca Sabatini
The best thing is bonding with my twin Luca. Luca is always there for me with hugs and to have fun. He is my bestie for forever and I think he is super smart.
I like how smart and artistic my sister is and I love that we are always together. She is my best friend, sister and twin all in one!
Lila and Brady Gaven
The best thing about being a twin is having a built in best friend.
The best thing about being a twin is that someday Lila will do my homework.
Annabel and Ethan Armstrong
I love having a forever friend.
Lucas & Nora Dubuc
Always having someone to go on vacation with!
I can tell when he’s lying...I just give him this look (side eye) and he tells me the truth!
Parker & Matthew Gorra
The fun part about being a twin is sharing our slushee flavors.
- Parker and Matty